Friday, July 13, 2012

To Buy or Not Buy at Sam's Club

We used to belong to Sam's Club years ago, but haven't renewed our membership for a while now. We just would use it for a purchase of outdoor furniture, a trampoline, a grill, video games, etc. we really didn't use it for food, although i would always pick up some food items while there. Before i began really, really couponing, I didn't realize shopping for non-perishable food at big box stores wasn't really a deal.  I can't tell you how many big boxes of cereal I purchased that I "thought" was a deal, only to see when my local Giant Eagle has a great sale on cereal, plus the coupons I have, it makes the cereal only $1.00 or $1.50 per box.

Here is a list of things NOT to buy from big box stores:

  • Soda and Chips [wait for great sales at your local store]
  • Produce [usually one thing will be priced great, the others are comparable to market]
  • Candy and unhealthy snacks. I certainly don't want supersize of anything around the house.
  • Mayo and other condiments, unless they are packaged in smaller bottles
  • Spices [unless you use spices all the time, shelf life for spices is only 6-9 months]
  • Toothbrushes and toothpaste. I cannot remember the last time I paid money for toothbrushes and toothpaste. I get them free, on sale, with coupons. I have a huge stockpile. 
  • Razors and Shaving Cream. Again, another staple we could go for. A refill for men's razors was like $50 for 15 cartridges. I won't pay more than $2.00 for a new razor that already has two blades in it. My husband [and now son] have a couple razors in our stockpile with one blade attached, plus two more for later. And with coupons I practically get these for $2.00, along with additional cartridges. Shaving cream is usually get for $.50 per bottle. 
  • Hair color. Personally my hair color runs $8.99 everywhere. I frequently get $4/2 coupons. When it goes on sale, I buy. This week, for instance, it was on sale 2/$12, which made my hair color, with coupon, $4 each. That's quite a savings, let alone the savings of me doing my own hair. If you're a brunette, go with Ash in the color name, ten it won't turn red on you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment